Friday, January 06, 2012

Marriage - Arranged or Love

This is still an age where the younger generation feels arranged marriage is an arrangement that the parents force upon their children. I do see a lot of valid reasons behind such feelings. However, for the people who very strongly believe that love marraige is The way for a happy marraige I'd like them to give arranged marriage a li'l more thought and credit. I do not deny I hated the entire process of chosing the person. Allt the things I was asked to do in the name of tradition were all not one bit to my liking. But I did it coz that is what it takes, a tiny bit of adjustment from my end. And I did it coz my parents never forced any proposal onto to me just coz they deemed it suitable for me. They did try to persuade, very hard, but never force. I had the last word. It took me a lot of time and a lot more of my parent's patience to find the person I thought I could live with, for the rest of my life. And I am more glad than sorry that I waited to go my parents way. I know I couldn't have dealt with a love marraige coz that would always make me feel that I let my parents down in some way, whether they feel so or not. It had to be their way BUT on my terms of course. Another adjustment that my parents were willing to make for having given me freedom to think for myself. But the end result is a happy family.
And what is more satisfying than to see that you've pleased the maximum number of people in your ability. All said and done I want to see the few people I value the most as happy as I can make them. Frankly I never made any sacrifices. It was mostly made by the people who love me, who put up with every whim of mine. I am now with a person who also puts me ahead of himself. What more can one ask for from a marriage. I'm not forgetting that I'm one of the few privileged persons on earth to have a wonderful life, to have things go my way. But I did have to make small adjustments so that everyone feels pleased. And it indeed has paid off.

4 comments:

Art said...

Well... I kinda agree with you.. but I had a love marraige... and had a little bit of guilt, but the day mom said "I am proud of you... and i couldnt have chosen a better person for you" made me guiltfree...

Seema said...

@Art: It must also have reinforced your trust in your choices/decisions I'm sure. It's such a relief when your parents have signed off on your decisions. It's an assurance

Rambler said...

I had a strange thought. I would say yes to to first girl i would meet. Even though I had not told this to anyone. I am sure people would find it crazy
The idea was that, I can never meet up someone and then say sorry I dont like you.
I actually spoke at length to one person over the internet trying to know her well, finally met her and we said yes.
It was funny. As I had never believed that I would truly say yes to the first girl I will meet

Seema said...

@Rambler: It appears that most guys, I know of, go into looking for "the girl" with a similar attitude.