Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Big 3 - O

Turning 30, surprisingly, isn't as traumatic as shown on the series F.R.I.E.N.D.S. When I turned 25 I was super excited. I was finally going to be old enough to be not dismissed anymore. Well, as soon as u turn the age to think for yourself, you want all your opinions considered. But that does not happen for a long long time. You have to wait out your teens, then the college student years and add a few years of work experience before parents think that you're old enough to take into consideration your suggestions w.r.t big decisions. Then came the 26th birthday. I was a li'l concerned that I'd finally reached the stage where I could be referred to as Old now. That passed soon. Fast forward to 29th and I was excited again coz I'd be turning 30 next year. Almost as much as my 24th. Well, the excitement was more so coz this was my first birthday with my darling husband. Somehow all the firsts are quite exciting experiences. In a few months I'm turning 30. And I'm so excited about it. Also a li'l surprised, coz, if this were the 90's, this probably would have been a reason to feel sad for myself as I was growing "Old". Back then turning 30, especially for a woman, was considered almost the retirement age. The age after which she should give up on life's pleasures. The age after which no amount of make over could make her feel "young" or desirable. When being a mom meant that that was your only identity.
Times have changed so much. Even a 40+ woman is considered desirable today (Read about Jen Aniston here). You are no longer just a wife or mother. You have a bigger role to play. Raising well mannered children is no longer the Only aim in your life.
I can only feel blessed to have such encouraging and empowering environment around me.
Cheers to happily turning 30

2 comments:

Rambler said...

Congratulations :)

I recently turned 30..believe me its almost the same with guys..
30 is the retirement age...thats what I tell my wife. :P

Seema said...

@Rambler : Thanks :). But 30 is certainly not the retirement age according to me. I've not yet done/seen/experienced so many things. Looking forward to all of them