Friday, April 29, 2011

Hi, How are you?

Yes, ever since I've come to the US of A, this is the way I've been greeted everywhere, from stores, to doctors to just about anyone. They don't really mean it but they do ask how you're doing. This isn't the thing back in India. No one even greets you for no reason. For almost four months I'd be uncomfortable as soon as I was greeted or smiled at. Although I usually went out only with my husband. And he'd be the one to respond or be in charge and I just preferred to stand back and watch. It was still an awkward feeling if someone even smiled when I looked at them. However, yesterday I caught myself by surprise when I found that I was greeting my dentist and her assistant with the same "Hi, How are you?". I figure I've now gotten used to the new way of being greeted. And I guess I'm glad about it.

3 comments:

Keerti said...

you are back...:) So glad.

Seema said...

Thanks :). I hope to try and stay consistent.

Rambler said...

getting stumped by the knowing smiles and howdys..brings me back some memories.