Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hockey - Really the National sport of India?

I found the blogger app and decided to try it. Also I've been wanting to pen down my thoughts but sheer laziness kept me off it. Anyway, here I ramble again.
I happened to read this article on TOI where the Indian Hockey team was being awarded merely 25000 as for having won a championship. I was aghast. I can understand that, in India, hockey isn't given the respect that cricket is, in spite of it being the national sport. But the latest news made me feel that it was more like insulting the players for pursuing a career in the sport IMHO. Lately a fresh out of college engineering graduate is being paid as much on a monthly basis. And (s)he is confidant that the amount is only going to go higher over time. Why didn't the hockey federation or whoever involved in the decision not think a zillion times before making such a news public? It's sad but the only thought that kept coming to my mind was people of India must stop playing other sports except cricket as professionals. As it is people play and watch cricket most times even for pleasure. Rather than being insulted by their government for the hard work put in, they may as well pursue careers that help in their family's sustenance. There is no need to put in so much hard work and yet be made to feel unworthy. It was extremely disrespectful for the players of the national sport of a country

No comments: